Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

This is SAQA Europe/Middle East: the Middle East



Cindy Richard




I worked in high-tech before turning textile artist and landscape quilter. I’ve always been intrigued by color. Before moving to Israel I worked in publishing, supervising the printing of children’s books created by master illustrators. After immigrating to Israel, while working as a technical writer in hi-tech, I sought a creative outlet and started quilting. At first I was attracted by the structured, triangles-and-squares simplicity of traditional designs. It was only later that I branched out to create contemporary designs of my own.

Today I prefer creating fabric landscapes using raw-edge appliqué to traditional quilting. I particularly like creating handmade quilt art that reflects the people and places of the Holy Land. I am drawn by the beauty of the landscapes and the unique colors of Israeli society. I have built a repertoire of landscapes of the natural wonders here like the Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee. Currently I am working on a series of “moments in time at the Jerusalem marketplace”. One of these pieces is hanging at the Jerusalem Theater.

Color Palette

Copy of Kibbuz Shlochat


Jerusalem, Old and New

There is so much material to work with here, I will never be bored. I am still finding my way and my voice and loving every minute of it.

I teach private students from my studio at home and sell my designs at my on-line store, cindyrquilts.etsy.com. My work can be found on my website, cindyrquilts.com.

Cindy was featured in the Jerusalem Post recently.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you are enjoying the discovery of your adopted country. It must be fun to explore the colour. Sometimes it goes unnoticed if it is a place we have lived in all our lives.
    Nice to meet you.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete